05 March 2006

 

Those Holga soft filters

My Holga came with the optional filter sets. One of the sets is a set of coloured filters. They're square and slide in. Kind of like Cokin filters, except they're plastic and probably cost about a penny each to make. I posted a while back that someone on Flickr has taken four photos with the coloured filters to see what effect they have.

The other set also contains coloured filters, plus one non-coloured filter. These filters have a clear spot in the middle and a translucent coating elsewhere. The idea is that the centre of the photo is clear while the edges are in soft focus. Added dreaminess, you might say.

I'd never played that much with the soft-focus filters, but I recently ran a roll through the Holga where some shots were taken with the clear soft-filter. I thought I'd put a few online. I've seen at least one post on this topic elsewhere and someone is bound to ask again.

This is my favourite. It's Django's coffee shop in Folkestone. Folkestone has several good coffee shops and it's an idea of mine to photograph them all with the Holga after I saw this one. As you can see, the centre of the photo (the table and the menu on the wall) are quite clear. The rest is progressively blurred.



The other is of my back garden. Gardening isn't a hobby, so I let the garden do its own thing, mostly.

I have a photo of the Holga with a filter fitted elsewhere on this blog if you're interested. The filter holder is push-on, pull-off and weighs almost nothing. The filters are plastic, so pretty unburstable.

Comments:
I've used the the soft surround with b/w ad nauseam, and really love the effect when used with a glass-lens Holga (offset the plastic filter with some sharpness). I've also aquired three Brownies recently, so it's good to see some pics from yours. Keep it real!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?