08 May 2006

 

Flexaret IVa in Folkestone Harbour

Well, I went to Prague as everyone knows by now and as ever, I ended up looking thoughtfully in camera shop windows. The full story will come later. The main thing is that I now have a second twin-lens - a Flexaret IV. There's a gallery of Flexarets on Meopta's website (the Flexaret uses Meopta lenses). More about the camera later. What gets me most at the moment is that I took it out to play in Folkestone harbour in the hope that it might even work. I guessed the exposures. And it... just... worked. I love this pic. I took it at about f4 or f5.6 - the lens itself is an f3.5, so this was close enough to wide open if it was at f4. There's very slight vignetting on this scan (shadows in the corners) - which isn't that obvious in the print. The textures of the stone and in whatever the bin is made of are very pleasant - especially on the print. For twenty pounds, it was a bargain.



Folkestone Harbour

Comments:
help! I just bought a flexaret iv and have no idea how to use it...specifically, loading & advancing film.
 
I assume you're using the usual 120 negative. You need an empty film roller in the upper chamber - you may have to move the empty roller from the lower film chamber first (not unusual with 120 film cameras). make sure that's in place first. Tear off the protective strip that seals the negative. Keep a good grip on the roll of film and make sure it doesn't unravel or loosen. Place it in the lower film chamber, so that the film comes out over the roll rather than under it (it should not pass between the roll and the camera). The paper backing on the film should be facing you. Keeping the film gripped securely, thread the film into the empty roller in the upper chamber. This can feel like a 3 hand job but you get used to it. Wind the film on with the winder knob on the side until it's lying flat. Close the camera and make sure the back is tightly shut. Wind the film on some more until you see the number 1 in the rear window. If any of this is unclear, search for LOAD FILM ROLLEIFLEX or LOAD FILM LUBITEL on Google. The procedure is much the same for most twin lens cameras. My Flex gives its best results stopped down to f8 or f11. I like my Flex but don't use it enough. I plan to change that soon. Hope it works - please feel free to repost here if you get results. Good luck. Joe
 
Hello there,

I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at 6cmx6cm.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from your blog post right above if I give a link back to this site?

Thanks,
Mark
 
Sure, Mark. Feel free.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?